Monday, July 21, 2008

Invitations + Viognier


Grandma and I spent some time over the weekend putting together invitations. It was really quite fun, the pieces are each so pretty. We created a little production line and sipped on wine and chatted as we placed invitations and reply cards in their respective envelopes.


With all the stacks of creamy white paper around, red wine simply would not do. This would have been incredibly problematic for me a mere 3 weeks ago but at King Family Vineyard I discovered the first white wine that I really enjoyed.


King Family's "Michael Shaps" Viognier tasted like summer in a bottle. A bit "racy," as opposed to the oaky, lingering taste of a chardonnay. Hints of grapefruit sang of sunshine and the taste of honeysuckle was clear and a great surprise. I'm not sure I had ever tasted so distinctly a flavor as I did the honeysuckle in this Viognier. The wine was crisp and clean, perfectly refreshing on a hot and humid day.



For whatever reason, I really find the history of wine fascinating. This grape's story is particularly interesting. Viognier is a persnickety grape that thrives only in a very specific climate. It's origin is in France but years ago wine experts considered the grape all but extinct. Enter the visionary Thomas Jefferson, who thought it appropriate to transplant European vines in and around Monticello. (Ok, I might have just transposed that statement back on history. TJ did bring over European vines, but I'm not totally sure he was actually planted Viognier in Virginia. I'm just giving him credit to outrage anti-UVA/anti-Charlottesville readers.)



Today Viognier has become the signature Virginia wine and has recently put Virginia on the wine world map by being featured at prestigious European wine tasting events.



For more on Viognier.

No comments: