Thursday, June 19, 2008

Chiavari Chairs

Ok so I vowed to myself that I would stay away from obnoxious wedding posts, but I have been spending quite a bit of time in the wedding blogosphere and simply had to share this little tidbit with you.

Do you know what chivari chairs are?

Chivari chair: A chivari chair (or chiavari chair) is a high-end chair often used for upscale weddings. They are more expensive than other types of chairs; the average rental for a chivari chair is about $8. Brides on a budget often struggle to justify the extra cost of chivari chairs. Notes: The spelling seems to vary between chivari and chiavari. The etymology of the word is unknown; it may be a reference to Chiavari, a town on the Italian Riviera. (Courtesy of Weddingbee)


I sure as heck didn't know what they were six months ago, I mean I had seen them but had no clue of the pandemonium that they strike in the hearts of brides-to-be. For your reference:

So apparently, a very common dilemma in the wedding planning world is the chairs to be used at the reception. Let me be honest - I too am grappling with this. You see bulky faux navy blue leather banquet chairs are just not aesthetically pleasing, and so in an effort to create the most beautiful day of all times brides rent chairs, the most coveted of which is the chivari chair. The problem: They run about $8 a piece to rent. The bigger problem: Can you remember a single chair that you have sat in at a wedding reception? Didn't think so.

Given the price tag and the fact that I can't remember chairs from wedding receptions that I've attended, I am ok with giving up the chiavari chair dream. For some brides this is not such an easy parting as is exemplified in this post on a blog called "Weddingbee." I was highly amused at this response from a fellow blogger trying to comfort the woman that posted that her wedding day would in fact go on in the absence of the beloved chairs:

YOU DON'T NEED CHIVARI CHAIRS!
Chivari Chairs : Wedding Industry
Crack : Crackhead


Ah yes. It is good to see that much needed dose of reality has been introduced into the wedding blogosphere.

No comments: